Summer Chromebook Expectations
Ballard CSD students in grades 3-12 have the great opportunity to utilize a Chromebook for learning during the school year. To encourage ongoing educational opportunities, students in grades 6-11 will continue to have access to their Chromebooks by taking them home during the summer months. To assist you, the district is providing the following tips for summer Chromebook use:
- Keep Chromebooks away from pets or young children.
- Avoid heat and direct sunlight.
- Avoid liquids-beware of wet swimsuits and towels.
- Keep Chromebooks plugged into a surge protector when they are not in use.
- Lack of charging may result in damage to the battery. The cost of a replacement battery ($47.50) is the responsibility of the student/guardian.
- Chromebook should remain in its provided bag at all times to help protect the device from severe damage.
- Chromebook must be turned on for at least 30 minutes once a week in order to receive necessary updates.
- Families should continue to monitor use at home by checking the Chromebook browser and observing student use. Instructions on how to check a browser is available as the Families always have the right to limit use over the summer.
- For your security, your password should not be shared. Also, a reminder this is a school device, not a personal device; please do not use anyone else’s account on your school Chromebook.
- GoGuardian monitoring software and accessibility will remain active during the summer.
- For further questions, review the district’s 1:1 technology information available via the Ballard District 1:1 ParentWeb page.
- Chromebooks that need repairs may be brought to the District Central Office between 9:00 A.M. and 3:00 P.M. Monday – Thursday except for holidays. A repair form should be filled out prior to bringing the broken Chromebook to the District Office, if possible, and is available here. The Ballard student must be signed into his or her school account to access the form. If the student is unable to access their school account, a kiosk will be available at the District Office to complete a repair form.
- While Chromebooks will be repaired as quickly as possible, replacements are not available over the summer.
- The student will be contacted by their student email when the Chromebook is ready to be picked up.
- A letter will be sent home to the parent if there are any fees that must be paid before repairs are made.
- Broken chargers must be returned
- DO NOT attempt to do repairs on your own.
Repair Questions: Eric Peterson – IT Support Specialist 515-597-2811 ext. 1008
General Questions: Dave McGill – Technology Director 515-597-2811 ext. 1005