Ballard High School Silver Cord Guidelines – 200 hours (Service Hours)
Ballard Community School’s commitment to education spans far beyond the typical classroom setting. Ballard students are given the opportunity to volunteer and provide service, which can result in a Silver Cord at Graduation after completing 200 hours of approved service.
Service Definition: Work performed by one that serves others outside of one’s family.
“Leadership is not about a box you check, or a single event. It’s an ongoing experience of commitment and service.” ~unknown
Rules and Expectations: (200 hours required)
- Students can start earning service hours the summer after their 8th grade year.
- 9th grade: 50 hours
- 10th grade: 50 hours
- 11th grade: 50 hours
- 12th grade: 50 hours
It is suggested that students complete a minimum of 50 hours of approved service activities per school year to reach 200 total hours of service, however, students may accumulate their 200 hours in varying amounts during their four years of high school.
- Service hours must be split between a minimum of four different approved service activities, with a 50-hour maximum for each service activity.
- Only 50 recorded service hours can be completed during school hours each school year. (StuCo, Peer Helping, Tutoring etc.)
- Service hours must be submitted within 2 months of their completion.
- Senior hours must be completed and turned in by May 1st of their graduating year. No hours will be accepted after this date.
- Summer hours should be submitted by September 1st of the following school year.
- Student manager hours – Complete a season in good standing with Coach’s signature receive:
- 50 hours maximum.
- Eligible for manager letter (at coach’s discretion; if applicable)
For more information about becoming a mentor or to volunteer, contact Kellie Boock, Service Coordinator, Ballard Community High School by email or phone, (515) 597-2971 ext. 2190.